nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: proposal to add a tools menu, to group things that don't fit elsewhere
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 12:09:43 -0700

I like that, it would also nice to have an easier way to find comment, indent and unindent.

-Mike

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 11:57 AM Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi all,

When the ability to pipe the current buffer through an external
command was added (^R ^X M-\), I felt that ^R wasn't the place
I would look if I wanted to filter the current buffer.  It would
be better if there were a special Tools menu that contained things
that perform special operations on the current buffer (or region).

This Tools menu could also contain the Full-Justify command,
which is now in the ^W menu where it is completely out place,
the Cut-to-end-of-buffer command that is now dangerously bound to
the single keystroke M-T, the Linter command, and the Spell-Check
command, besides the Feed-buffer-through-external-command command.

As I would prefer to reserve the Alt keystrokes for toggly things,
I would propose to bind the Tools menu to ^T, and in that menu bind
^T to the Spell-check command, so that spell checking changes from
a single ^T to a double ^T.  In summary:

  ^T^T  Spell checker
  ^T^L  Linter
  ^T^J  Full justify
  ^T^K  Cut to end of buffer
  ^T^P  Pipe buffer (or marked region) through a command

And maybe also (because related to ^T^P):

  ^T^R  Replace

What do you think?

Benno