nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: David Niklas
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2018 23:23:07 -0500

On Fri, 28 Dec 2018 12:00:19 -0500
Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
<snip>
> (I've used nano with --ignorercfiles for a bit.  When then the cursor
> is somewhere in the middle of the window, and you press <PageDown>,
> it pages down, but the cursor is placed in the top left corner.  Weird!
> Of course, this is what Pico does (and jed too), but I can't believe
> that I've accepted this behavior in the beginning.  Because: when then
> you press <PageUp>, the cursor isn't back where it was.  Peeking ahead
> (or back) in a file becomes a tiresome exercise of finding back and
> getting back to the place where you were.)

:)

> The default keybindings won't change.  People who are used to using
> nano would not forgive us that. The settings that we are considering
> to make the default are probably those that people who use nano daily
> already use: --nowrap, --smooth, --nonewlines, --historylog.

I do use those daily, plus undo support.

> > ^S was added to ^O for save...
>
> ^S was free, unused (in most cases), so it was easy to assign something
> useful to it.  But changing ^X, ^W, ^R... it's far too late for that.

Ok.
After thinking about it, the only change I ever *really* wished nano would
make to the key bindings was that ^Y and ^U should operate like in a
shell (readline Yank and paste).
But ^Y is used for page up and some very tiny keyboards don't come with a
dedicated page up key (Grumble. grumble.)

Thanks!
David