nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [RFC] is it time to break free from the Pico defaults
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 19:19:32 -0700

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:47:37 -0600
David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> trying to bind Ctrl-H and Backspace
> separately seems like a problem waiting to happen in terminals where
> they generate the same keystroke (and just because they don't on your
> systems doesn't guarantee that they don't anywhere).  Also, binding
> Ctrl-H to word-cutting while binding Backspace to backspacing sounds
> like something we shouldn't encourage, given that it might lead users
> to think they can bind, say, Ctrl-I and Tab separately.

I don't know what that commit does, but all keys should be user bindable or
require a 'set iknowwhatiamdoing' option to bind them. It isn't right to
completely remove useful features to protect non-power users.

Default binds on keys that are known to produce the same keycode on some
systems is a problem. Unless the binds are ordered so the primary action
(backspace) is chosen instead of the secondary action (cutwordleft).