nano-devel

[Nano-devel] guessing at the number of users of nano

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] guessing at the number of users of nano
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 19:48:16 +0100

Hi all,

It's been 31 days since nano was released, and I've been following the
development of the number of installs on https://formulae.brew.sh/formula/nano.
I think it took a day for Brew to update the recipe to 3.2, so all installs
in the last thirty days have been of 3.2.  Four and a half thousand installs
on request!  That's far more than I would have thought on Apple machines.

Probably some users have multiple machines, so... some four thousand users
of nano on OS X machines seems a good guess.

For Debian, there is https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=nano.  Under
"Vote" it says that some 32 thousand people use nano more or less frequently.
Whether these users would have chosen to install nano when it hadn't been
installed by default is impossible to say, but let's guess that half of them
would have.  That would make another fifteen thousand dedicated users.

Do any other distributions offer such indications of the number of users of
a package?  Fedora, Gentoo, Arch, Ubuntu?

Benno