nano-devel

[Nano-devel] alternative anchoring: allowing to set multiple "bookmarks"

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] alternative anchoring: allowing to set multiple "bookmarks"
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 20:17:22 +0100

Op 30-10-18 om 21:25 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> I think this can be implemented in a simpler and more powerful
> way. Just adding a boolean member to filestruct would allow us to
> have such functionality. I also think my suggested approach has
> some advantages and make implementation of other features simpler:
>   - once the line is removed, the anchor is also removed;
>
>   - if lines are added before/after the anchor, the anchor is
>   automagically moved;
>
>   - multiple anchors could be set on the same buffer;
>
>   - cycling through anchors or "go to next/previous anchor" would
>   be easy to implement.

An interesting idea.  But... how often do you want to jump between
multiple points in a file.  The anchor method is geared to what I
actually do: I have to peek for a moment elsewhere in the file and
then immediately want to return to where I am: set anchor, scroll
and search elsewhere, look a bit, jump back to anchor and clear it.

If I want to jump back and forth between the two positions, this is
relatively easy: I probably got to the other position with a search
(^W), so after jumping back to the anchor I can jump back to the
other position with a simple M-W.  I could maybe imagine a situation
where I would want to jump between three or more positions, but I've
never had a need for it, and if it would occur, I would fall back to
the old method of putting xxx in the file and using ^W and M-W to
cycle between the "anchors".

So, you would have to come up with some really convincing examples
where you need the ability to set multiple bookmarks before I will
consider this mechanism.

Benno