nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 19:22:54 -0600

> No.  Either the difference between hard and soft marking causes the
> behavior change, or there is an option that causes the behavior
> change.  Not a mixture of both.

Hard and soft marking both have pros and cons to using them, but code that uses
them shouldn't care which one the user chose. So Del/Bsp should delete hard and
soft regions equally or there should be an option to enable both, with neither
deleting by default (I'm guessing this is what you mean by "an option to cause
the behavior change"). I think treating hard and soft separately would cause
confusion as to why it deletes for one but not the other.

> (2) there's also another keystroke (obviously one that isn't too easy
> to hit, despite its being undoable) that erases marked text,
> regardless of how the text was marked?

The patch adds a 'nuke' function that can be bound by the user. It has the same
behavior as the 'cut' function, unmarked lines are deleted or if cutfromcursor
is enabled, it deletes to the end of unmarked line. Nano could include a
default binding for it, one just needs to be chosen. The Del/Bsp is just
another key that only erases for selections.

Could M-Del be made the default key for the function?

> "wipe", "blot", "erase".

Does anyone have a preference for one of these? Perhaps "erase"?