nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Request to assign a Bug for fixing

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Request to assign a Bug for fixing
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 01:49:18 -0600

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 12:24:54 +0530
Pranav Joglekar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Can you please assign me a bug which I can try to fix. I visited the
> website https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=nano but I am not sure
> about the difficulties and priorities of the bugs.

All bugs are difficult when you don't know the code. Just pick something that
looks interesting and try to figure out how the code related to it works. If
you can't figure it out, pick something else. Your second bug fix won't be any
easier, unless it is related to your first bug fix.

This script and alias might be useful to "printf" debug nano.

~/bin/trail.sh
  #!/bin/bash
  TRAILFILE=".TRAIL.$$"
  eval $@ 2>$TRAILFILE
  cat $TRAILFILE
  rm $TRAILFILE
alias nt='trail.sh src/nano'

You can then put fprintf(stderr, "...\n"); calls in the code and run nano with
`nt NEWS`. Your messages will be on the console when you exit nano.