nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Thoughts

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Thoughts
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 12:55:40 +0200

Op 27-04-18 om 15:27 schreef address@hidden:
> 5. Not all keys are rebindable - like arrow keys for example.

Yes, the standard cursor-movement keys are hard-bound.
That won't change.

> 6. ~/.nanorc is kind of useless because when you do `sudo nano` ~ becomes
> /root
> and in the end /etc/nanorc is the only rc that matters.

sudo nano /root/.nanorc, ^R your own .nanorc and edit.

> 7. Ctrl+Left should also stop at the end of the word.

What?!  You want Ctrl+Left to stop both at the end and the
beginning of a word?

Won't happen.  The current behavior is what Pico does, so this
is what nano does.

> 8. Ctrl+Right should also stop at the end of the word.
> 9. Shift+Ctrl+Left should also stop at the end of the word.
> 10. Shift+Ctrl+Left [...]

WTF?  Why all this repetitious stuff?  If Ctrl+Left does something,
Ctrl+Right will necessarily do the mirror thing.  Anything else
would be madness.

No.  Won't be changed.  See https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?53534.

> 16. Lua syntax file should be updated for Lua 5.3.

Send patch.

> 17. Autocomplete segfaults at the end of the word list (fixed in later
> version?)

Already fixed in 2.9.6.

> 26. There should be a keystroke to delete a word and whitespace around it to
> the
> right. Maybe alt+del.
> 27. There should be a keystroke to delete a word and whitespace around it to
> the
> left. Maybe alt+backspace.

Those functions already exist, cutwordleft and cutwordright, you
just need to bind them.  Alt+Delete and Alt+Backspace are not
usable, they do not always produce distinct codes from a plain
Delete and Backspace.

> 28. The titlebar maybe should be replaced with file tabs.

You proposed that before.  You did not bother to respond to my
comments then.  So this is where I stop.

Benno