nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Unable to create state directory

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Unable to create state directory
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2017 10:20:25 +0100

Op 19-11-17 om 09:37 schreef Brand Huntsman:
On Sun, 19 Nov 2017 09:09:58 +0100 Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
XDG_DATA_HOME should specify a valid and existing directory. If it does not exist, nano will not create it.

Sorry, I meant XDG_DATA_FALLBACK.

Create a new user account, remove ~/.local/ if it exists, clear XDG_DATA_HOME if set and run nano. Nano uses XDG_DATA_FALLBACK and then fails if it doesn't exist. I can understand not creating XDG_DATA_HOME if not null, but it should probably create XDG_DATA_FALLBACK like all other programs that use that directory.

Hm.  I don't like it.  In the spec [1] it says that it must create
the destination directory (when attempting to write a file, not when
attempting to read one) when it does not exist, it does not say that
it should create any parent directories too.  Of course, one might
argue that that is implied, but... I would choose to just silently
skip reading/writing state when the XDG_DATA_* directory does not
exist.

Benno

[1] https://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html