nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to add support for the XDG base directory spec
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2017 21:25:17 +0200

*If* we'll add support for the XDG base dir idea, then it will have to put
all three nano files in a single place: filepos_history, nanorc, and
search_history.

On second thought: nano shouldn't put those files in a single dir, because
it might give the user the impression that filepos_history and search_history
are config files too, and are meant to be edited.  They aren't.  So they should
probably go into $XDG_CACHE_HOME, right?

Yes, agreed. As mentioned, my patch was just a first change to test the
waters, a complete patch would adapt the location of all those files. It might
not be perfect, but I could live with XDG_DATA_HOME for those files if nano
devs insist on not splitting them up along the cache/config/data lines.

If you agree that the history files should go into the CACHE directory,
then please provide a patch that makes the necessary changes.  I have
removed from git the code for migrating a legacy .nano_history file --
no need to complicate matters with that old thing.

Benno