nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] what to put where in the title bar

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] what to put where in the title bar
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 20:00:06 +0200

Op  5-09-2017 om 01:33 schreef David Ramsey:
Benno Schulenberg:
Well, if [1/15] is put after the file name, it means it will jump
around in the title bar along with differently sized filenames.  I
don't like that.  And it can't be put at the right side because that
is reserved for "Modified".  So the most logical place is at the left
-- always in the same spot.

Okay.  But if you switch from file [9/15] to file [10/15], the filename
will jump in the title bar as well.  Given that, shouldn't the first
number be left-padded with zeroes so that it takes up the same number of
columns as the second number?  [1/2] would remain unchanged; [9/15]
would become [09/15], so that the next switch would make it [10/15]
without moving the relative position of the filename.

David...  You are taking things to excess.  First, this "jump" is just
one character.  That is an entirely different league than when editing
for example NEWS and syntax/python.nanorc, and appending the indicator
after the file name, in which case the "jump" would be six characters.
Second, even if the width of the indicator changes a bit, the starting
point stays the same, so really there is no jump, it is steady.  And
third, leading zeros are ugly -- they are meant for machines, not for
humans.

(But I must say that I don't like it that the [1/2] changes to GNU
nano x.y.z when closing the penultimate buffer -- it is unexpected and
surprising.  So maybe we will have to drop the version display
entirely after all.)

So, then, with the constraints you've pointed out, what we need in the
long term seems to be (assuming a modified file, and assuming you agree
with my point above):

[01/15] whatever.txt Modified

Yes, but without the leading zero.  And "whatever.txt" is centered, and
"Modified" is right-aligned, as they are now.

Benno