nano-devel

[Nano-devel] what to put where in the title bar

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] what to put where in the title bar
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 21:54:33 +0200

Op  4-09-2017 om 19:57 schreef David Ramsey:
In the long term, since you said you want to keep the version number
around for awhile,

The version number is still there when just one file is open, which
is the most typical use of nano, I think.

after "File:" is removed and more screen real estate
is available, wouldn't it be better to rearrange things so that nano
shows

"GNU nano x.x.x whatever.txt [1/15]"

instead of "[1/15] whatever.txt"

Well, if [1/15] is put after the file name, it means it will jump around
in the title bar along with differently sized filenames.  I don't like
that.  And it can't be put at the right side because that is reserved for
"Modified".  So the most logical place is at the left -- always in the
same spot.

In the absence of "File:", that arrangement would make it clearer that
the numbers refer to open files.  (To me, anyway.)

It will be obvious enough what the numbers mean as soon as the user closes
a buffer or switches to another one.

(But I must say that I don't like it that the [1/2] changes to GNU nano x.y.z
when closing the penultimate buffer -- it is unexpected and surprising.  So
maybe we will have to drop the version display entirely after all.)

Benno