nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific

From: Darren Austin
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Kernel panic on Ubuntu 1610 with NFS - nano specific
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2016 14:45:57 +0100

On Sun, 16 Oct 2016, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> > I can utterly reproduce this bug on my system, so it's definitely not a one
> > off - it causes a kernel panic and complete lock-up every time.
> Okay.  Does it also occur when you use 'nano --ignore'?
> (Or rename your nanorc files to something else?)

It's reproducable with --ignore, and with .nanorc and /etc/nanorc moved out
of the way.

> If not, please find the configuration option that triggers it.
> If yes, can you build from git?  If so, then please bisect --
> 21469422 should be good, and 08b770d4 should be bad.

I'm happy to do a couple of git builds to test, but i'm not familiar with
the bisect command, so you may need to give specific instructions... :)

Do you still need me to do test builds since the bug still occurs even with
--ignore?

> It seems to be lockfile-related.  So commenting out the
> 'set locking' line in /etc/nanorc will probably avoid the
> problem.

Isn't locking off by default?  By moving the .nanorc and /etc/nanorc out
of the way i've revered it to defaults, where locking shouldn't be active?

If that's the case, then the effect is the same as commenting the 'set
locking' option... and the bug still pokes it's head.

Cheers,
Darren.