nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Nano with Line Numbering

From: Faissal Bensefia
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Nano with Line Numbering
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 14:32:16 +0100

"After a quick test, it works.  But I don't like the bold -- it attracts
too much the attention.  If it were possible, I would use a greyed-out
tone."
The issue is that there needs to be something to differentiate it from
the text.

"Something that doesn't work: run 'src/nano +188,188 doc/faq.html' and
move the cursor up and down and see how things are messed up.

This line-number feature is eminently something that should be togglable:
switch on and off on the fly with an M-... key, just like syntax coloring
and whitespace display.

About the patch itself: the style doesn't match that of nano.  There
should be a space after a comma, spaces around each operator, overlong
lines should be wrapped, opening braces are on the line of the if or else,
braces are only used when needed, the indentation step is four, not two.

You use "#ifndef DISABLE_LINE_NUM", but configure.ac does not contain
anything to allow to disable the line-numbering feature."
I'll fix these later.

"In the man page you've added "set linenumbers" at the beginning, but
it should of course be in its alpabetical position.  And the new flags
(in nano.h) you've added somewhere in the middle, but those should be
at the end -- that's how it's done."
I've fixed this now.

"What is the use case for hexadecimal line numbers?"
Assembly jump alignment.

"What does below comment mean?  What do you want to represent in hex?"
Don't worry about that, I just forgot to remove that.

"And src/revision.h should not be in your patch; it should not be under
version control."
Fixed, it turns out my commits came before it was added to .gitignore

Once I've finished all the fixes, I'll post something.

~Faissal Bensefia