nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] snipping almost twenty lines out of the commenting code

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] snipping almost twenty lines out of the commenting code
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 21:42:29 -0600

It looks pretty good.

Not resetting comment_seq on each use (now that it is a file global)
appears to have a strange side effect for syntaxes without a comment
setting. A file with a syntax that has no comment setting inherits the
last comment sequence that was used on a previous file or other
buffer. I use some syntax files from github that don't have comment
(yet) and the problem showed up for those files after I had used
comment or uncomment on a file with any non-# setting. I think
resetting it to "#" in do_comment() right after #ifndef DISABLE_COLOR
would fix that issue.

Calling discard_until() makes things work a bit different in a subtle
way. It deletes the redo side of the undo stack. If the comment action
had changed a line it would have been lost so it's not a serious
effect but different in a small way.

I'm not a fan of using a global to eliminate a function but given how
much you value fewer lines and the historical use of globals in the
codebase I guess it's the thing to do.

-Mike