nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] tab completion in the browser

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] tab completion in the browser
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2016 21:46:31 +0200

Hello Rishabh!

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016, at 14:04, Rishabh Dave wrote:
> I have written a patch for the bug #47234: tabbing in file browser works
> only in the current working directory. Here is the link -
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?47234.

The patch works.  Nice!  :)

> For now, I have set-up a global variable to pass path from do_browser() to
> cwd_tab_completion(). I preferred not to pass it as an argument as there is
> another function - do_prompt() - sitting between them. I don't know if
> altering it, too, is favourable as it is also used elsewhere.

Yeah, no, let it be -- do_prompt() already has too many parameters -- it
drives me mad sometimes.

> Patch is over nano-2.5.3 and I did test it.

One small improvement would be easy: both assignments to path_for_tab_c
are immediately followed by goto change_browser_directory, so it would be
cheaper and more central to set path_for_tab_c there, a little later, after
the assignment to path.  Which means that you don't have to do the first
assignment of "./" at all (which, by the way, was misplaced: it is among
the declarations).

(And in a later patch you can probably melt path_for_tab_c and path_save
into a single global variable.)

> I have pulled nano's repo using git but... autogen.sh and configure didn't
> run successfully. I did check web but failed to find a solution. Neither I
> am understanding any thing around the error. Can I receive some help?

Sure.  Paste the error messages -- preferrably in a new thread with an
appropriate subject line.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Choose from over 50 domains or use your own