nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] polished git repo

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] polished git repo
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 14:28:47 -0500

On 17 Feb 2016 20:03, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016, at 20:21, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > the history.  for keyword expansion, it's a bit non-trivial, but for the
> > svn metadata in the commit message, it's easy to trim.
>
> But when you remove that svn metadata, can git still synchronize
> with svn?  (Some months ago I've tried twice a git over svn checkout
> with --no-metadata, and it's useless: when the checkout is complete
> you can't 'git svn rebase' any more: "Unable to determine upstream
> SVN information from working tree history".)

i'm pretty sure it can, but it's harder.  instead, i was thinking that
once we want to move to git, i'd do a one-time rewrite of the history
and then everyone can switch.

> If trimming that git-svn-id from the commit message is possible
> without losing the ability to rebase your repo (for as long as we
> are still using svn), will it still be possible to easily find the
> commit in git that corresponds to a certain revision number in svn?
> In other words, is there a command in git that does the equivalent
> of 'svn diff -c nnnn'?

no, that is not easy to do.  not all of the svn commits (rev #s) will
be in the git repo -- some are garbage like branches/vendor/ and some
are generated like creating tags/, but git doesn't do that.  so that'd
leave holes in the # range in the log of trunk (master).

we could add a svn rev<->git sha1 map, but seems like a lot of work.
we could try using git-notes so people could get the augmented history
if they really wanted it.
-mike