nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Fwd: .gz support, DONE

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Fwd: .gz support, DONE
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 17:58:17 -0500

On 09 Jan 2016 12:29, Tilman WEIERS wrote:
> If I used zlib instead of gzip, my approach would have been different
> from that of lv, vim, and less(pipe). I chose gzip out of consistency.

i'm not sure that's a compelling reason.  zlib has a nice FILE interface
and i'd expect it to perform better.

at least with less (a pager), it doesn't support any compressed format.
it relies on a $LESSOPEN variable that distros set to external shell
scripts which do all the processing.  so zlib or any lib isn't an option
there.

to be clear, any code using system() or popen() must be rejected out of
hand.  the only sane route is to fork/execve ourselves.
-mike