nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Fw: .gz support, DONE

From: Tilman WEIERS
Subject: [Nano-devel] Fw: .gz support, DONE
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 18:56:02 +0100

Hi Chris, Benno and everyone:

I suggested adding support for .gz files to nano on 2 September 2015. I
then understood that members of the mailing list were apprehensive since an
implementation seemed cumbersome. I thus decided to implement support
for .gz files myself. You will find my changes annexed to this email.
My changeset is based on nano 2.5.0.

My changes affect one file only, which is files.c. As I commenced
implementation, I reviewed the support for .gz files in vim and in lv.
Both vim and lv rely on the gzip system command. My review thus
suggested that the approach via the gzip system command is preferred to
other approaches such as shell script or zlib.

Please do not hesitate and come back should you have questions. I am
certainly happy for you to merge my changes into the main branch of
nano.

Regards,

Tilman WEIERS