nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950

From: Rishabh Dave
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Patch for bug #44950
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 23:24:26 +0530

However, it does not do what I would have thought.

Currently, when I try to open a directory, nano beeps and says
that the given name is a directory.  For example, do:

   src/nano  doc/

Result on the statusbar: [ "doc" is a directory ]

But with your patch, nano now simply opens a blank buffer,
without any complaint.  It ignores the doc/ as if the user
typed nothing at all.  That is not good.  If the user typed
something, she meant to edit something; she did not mean to
open a blank buffer.

So... this is not the way to solve bug #44950
(https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?44950).

Yes, the bug report suggests to discard anything on
the command line that is not a real and readable file,
but that was apparently not a good idea.

I now think that nano should report, for an argument
of the type nondir/filename, on the statusbar that
nondir is a nonexistent directory.

However, most other editors will open a blank buffer,
and will only complain at the moment the user tries
to save the file.  Pico, vim, emacs, gedit...

What should nano do?
I had same confusion before. And I haven't used any console
 text editor except nano or vim, so I followed vim as
closely as possible. I will try to do as you said
No problem.  Better would be to check out SVN,
and make your changes there, and then create a
patch simply with 'svn diff >this.patch'.  You can
check out the current state of the source tree with:

   svn co svn://svn.savannah.gnu.org/nano/trunk/nano
May I skip using a version/revision control system? I tried to learn
using one before, but being beginner I thought it would be better to
avoid using complicated tools to avoid complicated lessons.