nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Adding right to left (RTL) languages support

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Adding right to left (RTL) languages support
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2015 21:54:57 +0200

Hi Mahyar,

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015, at 08:48, Mahyar Abbaspour wrote:
> Recently, I've been working on adding right to left (RTL) languages
> support to Nano using the Fribidi library. Since this feature needs
> testers who are familiar with RTL languages (probably Persian, Arabic
> or Hebrew speakers),

I doubt you will find any right-to-left-language speakers on this list,
otherwise I would have expected more requests for RTL support.

> I'm asking you folks for the preferred method to
> develop this feature. IMO opening a separate branch for this feature
> would be a good method rather than exchanging patches.

Do you think having your changes in SVN will increase the chances
of finding testers?  I think that posting a patch againts the last
released version is more likely to find testers: it's easier to build
from a (patched) tarball than from SVN.

Or do you think it will be easier to keep your changes up-to-date
with HEAD when they are in SVN?  but it should be the same amount
of work whether your changes are in a private "branch" on your PC
or in a public branch in SVN.

By the way, when RTL support is added, I think it should be possible
to disable it via a configure option, say --disable-rtl, because the
changes will most likely be far reaching and slow nano down a bit.
People who have no need for RTL languages should be allowed to
exclude the complicating Fribidi stuff.

Regards,

Benno

--