nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] improving two long options

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] improving two long options
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 20:01:22 +0200

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015, at 08:35, Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 8 July 2015 at 12:35, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The old --const and 'set const' and --poslog and 'set poslog'
> > will continue to be recognized and acted upon, but only the
> > longer versions will be documented.  Any objections?
>
> Sorry for the delay in replying to this: having self documenting long
> options is reasonable.  I'd object to any undocumented behavior: the
> old names should be documented as "legacy", "deprecated" or
> "compatibility feature" or whatever designation they actually have.

I had added deprecation remarks to the nanorc.sample file, but...
existing users will most likely not look at that file again, and
new users do not need to know about the old forms, so that was
probably the most unuseful place to document the deprecation.

Fixed in SVN, r5315: the man pages and info document now also
mention the old, deprecated forms.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Does exactly what it says on the tin