nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] what is a paragraph?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] what is a paragraph?
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 10:05:39 +0200

Hello,

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014, at 08:07, Mark Majeres wrote:
> The current logic for jumping to the end of a paragraph is questionable.

I agree.  The logic is probably so in order to be able to justify
also indented paragraphs: paragraphs where all lines have leading
whitespace.

> Consider the following lines.

I've rewrapped them a bit, to make them fit their content.  :)

>     This line is the start of a paragraph. It has an indent that is the same
>     as this line.  This line is also part of the paragraph.  The next line
> doesn't have the same indent as the first two.  Should this line be the start
> of a new paragraph?  Nano recognizes these 4 lines as a single paragraph.

It is one paragraph when autoindent is on.  When autoindent is off, nano
sees the first line as a separate paragraph, just like pico does.  And this
latter behaviour is the correct one, in my opinion.

>     A paragraph should have the same indent for all lines, OR the first line
> has a larger indent.  The rest of the line[s] in the paragraph will have the
> same indent.  Nano recognizes these 3 lines as a single paragraph.

True.  Also I don't see why justifying should behave differently with
autoindent on and autoindent off.  Chris?  Any special reason for this?

Benno