nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] ioctl TIOCLINUX, subcode=6 (man console_ioctl)

From: Mark Majeres
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] ioctl TIOCLINUX, subcode=6 (man console_ioctl)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 12:17:44 -0700

> As far as I understand that, not the keystroke is coming via the
> ioctl, but just the shift state.  I don't think that is any good:
> what if there is a many-milliseconds delay between getting the
> keystroke via ncurses and calling the ioctl?  Also, this works
> on Linux; does it too on BSD?
>
>> http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/programming-scripting/195650-ncurses-key-modifiers-console-xwindows-solved.html

I think the best results would come from calling the ioctl after
ncurses detects input.  The modifier key(s) are typically held down
for a considerable time longer than the modified stroke.  I suppose if
you have quick fingers on a slow machine it could be a problem, but I
would expect the user to adapt pretty easily.

Not sure if it would work as is on BSD, seems easy enough to adapt though.

--Mark