nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] undoings of do_wrap()

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] undoings of do_wrap()
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2014 13:09:48 +0200

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014, at 14:24, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Wow.  In total nearly a hundred lines removed!  And it really does
> the same as before, but even better?  :)
>
> Thanks.  Will go into SVN tomorrow.

Your patch has gone into SVN -- tweaked for whitespace, of course,
but you know that by now.  :)

It works nicely.  The only thing I don't like is that, when undoing
text additions that caused line wraps, it says on the status line:
"Undid action (line wrap)".  It should say "Undid action (text add)"
instead -- the line wrapping is only a side effect of the adding of
text.  The linewrap and the textadd get undone together, which is
good, but the latter gets undone last, and is what the user actually
did, so this is what should get mentioned on the status line.  But I
don't see how to easily fix that.

Something else.  Select some words with the mark, hit M-6, and
then paste them into the line with multiple ^Us (while you have
started nano with something like -r44).  When the line becomes
overlong, it does not wrap, it just grows and grows.  Type ^Us
until the line is more than 200 characters long.  Then type a
letter, the line breaks once; type another letter, the line breaks
again; and so on, until it is fully chopped up.  This has always
been this way, but it is very odd behaviour.  I think a ^U should
behave as if all the inserted stuff had been typed in.  But maybe
that is hard to make, so don't bother with it if it's complicated.

Benno