nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:41:56 -0500

On 8/22/07, Jordi Mallach <address@hidden> wrote:

<snip>

> This is OK for Debian.

Good to know.

> If the FSF prefers just GFDL without invariants, that's OK for us too,
> so your call.

Some of the documentation's text's being originally from nano's GPLed
sources was still a concern, given the GFDL's incompatibility with the
GPL, which is why things worked out this way.  Thanks anyway, though.

> > If there are no objections, I'll relicense the documentation
> > tomorrow. (Note that the above terms will need to be translated for
> > the French versions of the manpages.)
>
> I don't think this is correct. The French manpages should be licenced
> under the terms of the English licence;

Don't worry; they will be when I'm done.

> a reference to the French translation can be provided as an
> informative note for French users.

True.  It's just that, in the current version, there's this (and the
second paragraph appears to be a translation of the first, if I'm
reading the cognates properly):

.\" This is free documentation, see the latest version of the GNU
.\" General Public License for copying conditions.  There is NO
.\" warranty.
.\"
.\" Ce document est libre. Reportez-vous à la dernière version de la
.\" licence publique générale GNU (GNU GPL) pour connaître ses
.\" conditions d'utilisation. Ce document est distribué sans
.\" AUCUNE garantie.

I can replace the English part, of course, but not the French part.  And
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/translations.html appears to only contain
translations of the full licenses, not just the blurb I'm dealing
with...