nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:56:19 +0200

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 02:23:14AM -0400, Roberto J. Dohnert wrote:
> It makes sense to relicense if there is some kind of benefit to be had.  To
> relicense just for the sake of relicensing makes no sense.  If you do
> decide to go this route I may just fork the current Nano release and keep
> my fork under GPLv3 as I see no benefit what so ever to have from GPLv3.

Roberto, nano is a GNU project, and GNU projects are going to move to
the GPL3 sooner or later. If we haven't brought this issue up on the
list a bit earlier is because we're probably all too busy, but it
certainly was on my agenda to discuss this.

The GPL3 is overall a better license than its predecessor. Why do you
threat with a fork? What's on the new licence that you can't stand?
Do you realise in a few months most of the GNU components will be under
this licence? Will you fork coreutils, tar, cpio, make, nano, compilers,
and all?

Just wondering,
Jordi
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/