nano-devel

[Nano-devel] next paragraph / previous paragraph

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] next paragraph / previous paragraph
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 16:57:05 +0100

The descriptions of movement keys that relate to paragraphs are
currently like this:

  M-(   (M-9)   Move to the beginning of the current paragraph
  M-)   (M-0)   Move to the end of the current paragraph

But typing, for example, M-( repeatedly, moves the cursor one
paragraph back every time.  This is unlike the ^A and ^E keys,
although their descriptions are nearly identical:

  ^A            Move to the beginning of the current line
  ^E            Move to the end of the current line

So in my opinion the description of the M-( and M-) keys should make
clear that they behave differently.  For example:

  M-(   (M-9)   Move to beginning of paragraph, of previous paragraph
  M-)   (M-0)   Move to end of paragraph, of next paragraph

Or maybe:

  M-(   (M-9)   Move to beginning of (previous) paragraph
  M-)   (M-0)   Move to end of (next) paragraph

Or, as M-) does not move the cursor to the last cahracter of the
paragraph but exactly one position beyond it:

  M-(   (M-9)   Move to beginning of paragraph, of previous paragraph
  M-)   (M-0)   Move just beyond end of paragraph, of next paragraph

Attached patch proposes the last alternative.

Also, wouldn't these paragraph jumping keys be more useful if they
not only recognized contiguous lines that start at position zero as
a single paragraph, but also contiguous lines that all have the same
indentation?

While at it, I've also made a patch to replace "Move to" with "Go to",
as "Move" sounds too much like _something is being moved -- at least
to me.  But feel free to ignore this, as it would mess up too many
string unnecessarily.

Benno