nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] aggressive C color highlighting

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] aggressive C color highlighting
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 20:17:41 -0400

address@hidden wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 09:09:07 -0700 (PDT)
> "John M. Gabriele" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I think that overlaps should be allowed only when the outer match
>> totally encompasses the inner match:
>>
>>     match1_start       match2_start    match2_end        match1_end
>>                             \---------------/
>>          \----------------------------------------------------/
>>
>> but not when they only partially overlap:
>>
>>     match1_start       match2_start    match1_end        match2_end
>>          \----------------------------------/
>>                              \--------------------------------/
>
> I already have this implemented in an patch to 1.3.0. There were a few
> bugs with some additional features that kept me from releasing it and
> I lost my free time before resolving them. I will try to port the code
> sans buggy features to the latest source and post it here.

I'd forgotten about this.  Thanks for bringing it up again.

<snip>

> 1) Apply all expressions to the current character pointer and
> increment to the end of the match or to the next character when there
> is no match. This method is quite simple and will give a significant
> speed boost.
>
> 2) Use the same technique as in the first method but store all matches
> in a list and colorize the text using the list. The list must be
> rebuilt each time the file is modified. This method uses more memory
> to store the list but gives a huge speed increase when only viewing a
> file and no loss in speed compared to the first method.

I'm a bit nervous about method 2, as one of the limitations of the
current code is that responsiveness is a lot lower when modifying a
heavily colorized file, and from your description, it sounds as though
it'd make things worse.  Or am I misunderstanding something, since I'm
not exactly a guru when it comes to the color code?