nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] bug or feature: zero length regex error

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] bug or feature: zero length regex error
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:41:28 -0400

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> this line the c syntax code for highlighting strings:
> color brightyellow start=""(\\.|[^"])*\\[[:space:]]*$"
> end="^(\\.|[^"])*""
>
> causes a small issue when editing some .c files ... for example, run:
> $ nano some-file-that-doesnt-exist.c
> and type just a single semi-colon ';' ... you should get this message
> back:
> Refusing zero-length regex match

I can't reproduce this with that regex, but after some experimenting,
I've seen it elsewhere with otherwise legitimate regexes.  The way to
fix it is to just remove that statusbar message (since, with
illegitimate regexes, it'll be displayed constantly and overwrite any
other statusbar messages, which is another problem).  However, that's a
translation change, so it'll have to wait a bit until after 1.3.12 is
out.