nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] some whitespace and several changed messages

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] some whitespace and several changed messages
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 20:03:08 +0200

David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>  > A substring of the new Browser Search Command Help Text ends
>  > in a space on a line by itself.  This had me a bit confused
>  > during translation, the space not being visible in KBabel.  I
>  > think it's better to put the space at the start of the next
>  > substring.
>
> Interesting idea, but this sounds more like a KBabel problem than
> a nano problem to me.

Of course.  But moving the space is convenient for the translators.
A space at the start is clearly visible, one at the end not.  Sure,
translators quickly learn to watch out for lines with trailing
spaces, but not for trailing spaces on a line by themselves.  These
are seldom.  In fact, this is the first one I see.  (The other one
I had never noticed: when adopting the Dutch translation of nano,
the string was already done.)

> Couldn't highlighting the text with e.g.
> mouse selection show any spaces at the ends of strings?

Of course.  That's what I finally did when Babel kept saying
no-no.  :)

>  > And to conclude, one question: why so many newlines before
>  > 'Use "fg" to return to nano'?
>
> A minor mistake on my part.  Fixed in CVS.

Ah.  But what I meant was: why at all so many newlines?  Someone who
enables Suspension and then suspends nano, probably knows what he's
doing, no need to scroll the screen several lines in an attempt to
make the message stand out a bit more.  One newline before and one
after are in my opinion enough.  Or rather: better.

Benno