nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] blank line goes missing

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] blank line goes missing
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 20:07:53 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> When a line in a help text has a certain length in relation to the
> screen width, a subsequent blank line disappears.
>
> For example, set 'stty cols 80', run nano, ^R ^T ^G, and see how there
> is a blank line after "available in the file browser:". Apply the
> attached patch, and try again: the blank line is gone.
>
> (I found this because a line in the Dutch translation has precisely
> this length.)

Thanks for the report.  I can't reproduce this, but I did notice a
missing blank line in the search prompt help (^W ^G) which might be
related, and which I've just fixed in current CVS.  Does the problem
still occur with current CVS?

> Completely unrelated: after 'export GREP_OPTIONS="--color=always"',
> the ./autogen.sh in nano fails here with:
>
>   autopoint: *** The AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION declaration in your
>   configure.ac               file requires the infrastructure from
> gettext-AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11.5) but this version > is older. Please upgrade to gettext-AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION(0.11.5)
>   or newer.
>
> The autogen script in grep has no problems with this.

Thanks for this report too.  As far as I can tell, the difference
between grep's autogen and nano's is that nano needs to call autopoint
to copy over the gettext architecture, and does this via autoreconf. grep includes its own copy of gettext, which nano hasn't done for ages. I tried the last version of nano's autogen.sh in CVS, which contains the
same commands as grep's autogen.sh minus the echo statements, and it
doesn't copy the ABOUT-NLS file over, which generates an error message. Also, a lot of the later configure tests fail due to the escape
sequences added in order to generate colors.  I get output like the
following:

checking build system type... ./config.guess: line 974: ommand not found
^[[?1;2c./config.guess: line 974: 31mLIBC=gnu: command not found
i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... ./configure: line 1692: ac_makeommand not found
^[[?1;2c./configure: line 1692: 31mtemp=make: command not found
no

Given this, I'm not surprised that some tests are malfunctioning. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to do about it, other than to say
"don't set that grep option while running nano's autogen.sh".  Sorry I
couldn't be more help.  (If anyone has any other ideas on how to deal
with this, please speak up.)