nano-devel

[Nano-devel] wishlist

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] wishlist
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 13:50:48 +0200

Hello developers,

Some things I would like to see someday in nano:

* Drop the "Verbatim Input" from the status line as soon as the
verbatim key combination has been pressed.  The same thing after a
^C: clear the status line as soon as another key is pressed.

* Don't waste the last few characters of the bottombars when the
screen width isn't a clean multiple of the column width.  See the
attached patch.  (For translation of CutTillEnd and History to Dutch
I need 11 and 12 characters -- the patch makes this fit neatly even
on a 80-column screen.)

* Add a compile-time or run-time option to use bold where now
inverse video is used, as inverse video is difficult to read on a
Konsole with a light background.

* Add some blank lines in the main help text, to give the eye some
hold in the long list of keys.  As the keys and their descriptions
are quite wide apart, it's sometimes hard to see which description
belongs to which key.  A few blank lines will make this easier, at
least for the first and last few lines of each chunk.  I'd like to
see a blank line before ^_, ^P, M-D, and M-X.

* Don't call the help texts "help menu", as they aren't menus:
nothing can be selected in them.

* After a ^W, use ^K instead of ^X as an extra key for CutTillEnd.
At other places in nano ^X means close and save, here it suddenly
becomes destructive.

* It may seem strange, but when I first used nano, saw the two help
lines at the bottom and saw the long list of key combinations in the
main help text, I thought there would be a way to make the two
bottom lines show the rest of the available key combinations too.
Something like M-/ that flips the bottom lines to the next set of
keys.

Regards,

Benno