nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Crash report - segfault reproduceable

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Crash report - segfault reproduceable
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 15:19:24 -0500

Nick Warne wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I reported this once bfore but never could get it to happen again - today it
> happened again and I saw what causes it.
>
> I also upgraded to 1.3.10 today, and get the same result.
>
> Build info:
> ./configure --enable-nanorc --disable-mouse --disable-color --disable-nls

<snip>

> As you can see, &meta_key is NULL.
>
> I have attached the file that my test file that causes this - just
> load it into nano, and move around with the arrow keys.  The problem
> line is all the extra tabs at one end of the middle line.

Thanks for all the information.  Unfortunately, I still can't reproduce
this with either 1.3.10 or 1.3.10-cvs.  Does it happen for you with
1.3.10-cvs?

meta_key should never be NULL in the case your backtrace shows, since
it's created in line 2130, and a reference to it is what's passed to
do_input() in line 2144, unless a reference to a stack variable can be
NULL, which makes no sense at all.

Part of the problem also appears to be update_line()'s being called with
an index of 1075402252, which is far past the end of the line, but
there's no place that I can find where it would get set to that value. It can't be an uninitialized value, either, since all file buffers,
after being created, are initialized via initialize_buffer(), which sets
the buffer's current_x to 0.

Out of curiosity, what version of gcc are you using, in case that makes
any difference?  Sorry I can't be of more help.