nano-devel

[Nano-devel] marked spell-check is back, etc.; release candidate soon ..

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] marked spell-check is back, etc.; release candidate soon ...
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 16:56:40 -0500

At long last, I've finally been able to reimplement marked replace and
marked spell check for both the internal and alternate spell checkers.
All of them, plus file insertion, now make use of a function to
partition a filestruct using arbitrary coordinates as the boundaries.
(I was originally using DB's code to partition a filestruct using the
mark, as found in write_marked(), but I had to refactor most of it
because as it was, it wouldn't work properly if any of the text changed,
and it was useless if you wanted to partition using something other than
the mark.)

The partitioning code will also probably be useful elsewhere, such as in
the cutting/uncutting code, but that'll take some more rewriting, and
it's been too long since the last release.  The two spell checkers also
have some duplicate code now, but that'll take some more rewriting as
well.

In other news, I've looked some more into the Shift-(function key)
problem Chris brought up, and I've found that while the FreeBSD console,
xterm, konsole, and gnome-terminal use Shift-F1 to Shift-F4 for F13 to
F16, the Linux console, rxvt, and Eterm use Shift-F3 to Shift-F6 for F13
to F16.  Since I can't put both in the help menu, I've added a question
to the FAQ explaining all this instead.  (I hope that covers the
problem.)  I've also added the answer to an old question that came up
awhile ago about how to select text on an X terminal when nano's mouse
support is on (according to Joseph Birthisel's reply, hold down the
Shift key while selecting), since power users might find that helpful.

There's also been one additional change to translated text: marked
replace now mentions the selection in the prompt.  Since the "Write
File" prompt mentions the selection when the mark is on, I figured this
was consistent with it.

Assuming things are working as expected, the release candidate for 1.3.5
should be out soon.  In the meantime, there are a few things that
especially need to be done:

* test whether the ^W^T^T and ^R^X^X toggles work properly
* test marked replace
* test marked spell-checking (internal and alternate)
* test whether compiling with particular options works properly
* test whether cross-compiling works properly
* update translated text if possible, since it shouldn't change between
now and the release candidate
* update translated manual pages if possible, for the same reason; the
only changes are updated version numbers, updated modification dates,
and deletion of the -D/--dos and -M/--mac command line options
* check that major bugs or silly minor bugs haven't been introduced