nano-devel

address@hidden: [Nano-devel] long explanation lines in help screen]

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: address@hidden: [Nano-devel] long explanation lines in help screen]
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 18:03:49 +0200

I know this is an old request, but it was buried in my huge INBOX.
David, do you know if it's valid still?

--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/

I have a problem translating some lines, which in ukrainian seems to be
longer than english equivalent. For example,
#: global.c:365
msgid "Uncut from the cutbuffer into the current line"
msgstr ""
"bla-bla-bla"
"and one more string"

This is the explanation of ^U function which appears on help
screen. The term 'uncut' in ukrainian seems to contain no less than two
words, and 'cutbuffer' is another two. The overall size of translation is
more than 56 symbols (80 - 3*'\t'). Before I did like this:

msgstr ""
"bla-bla-bla\n"
"\t\t\tand one more string"

but after some version of nano it isn't work. It shows only first 3 symbols
from second line.
If there is no explicit '\n' in first line, the tail of the second will be
lost.

thus, there is a feature request. Can you guys do some checking in output
functions to provide automatical wrapping of long lines like this in
accordance with current size of the screen?

--
Best wishes,
        Sergey.

--- End Message ---