nano-devel

[Nano-devel] update

From: David L. Ramsey
Subject: [Nano-devel] update
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 01:33:18 -0500

Busy again, as usual.  However, I've been able to do the following over
the past few weeks:

* merged DB's do_next_word() fix

* to avoid any more latent editbot-related segfaults, removed the last
of the editbot references as in DB's patch (there were only a few left,
and they were relatively minor in any case)

* fixed the memory corruption problem in do_writeout() caused by using
answer as the value of def in statusq() that bort described, albeit with
a few modifications (using mallocstrcpy() instead of charalloc() and
strcpy(), and also using a few of DB's tweaks there to simplify things);
the same problem also existed in do_gotoline() at the "Go to line
number" prompt, according to a patch in the OpenBSD port of nano 1.2.3,
so I ported that fix over as well using mallocstrcpy() instead of the
static char*'s in the original patch; one of my recent tweaks to
preserve the text at the statusbar when switching from "Read File" to
"Execute command" (for consistency, and also in preparation for letting
^X switch back to "Read File" as in the TODO list) also had the same
problem, so I fixed it there as well; the problem doesn't seem to be
anywhere else as of now (although I'd like to eventually change inspath,
used at the "Read File" prompt, from a static char*)

* added item to TODO about allowing searches in the file browser as
Joseph Birthisel brought up awhile back; findnextstr() isn't suitable
for it since it assumes that we're in the edit window and the search
strings are all in a filestruct*, but strstrwrapper() can be used for
the as-yet-unwritten function to do the file search (maybe
findnextfile()?)

* renamed a few variables and added a few cosmetic tweaks; e.g. having a
variable "meta" conflicted with the meta() function, so it's been
renamed to meta_key

nano seems pretty stable at the moment, so if there aren't any major
problems, I'm planning on releasing it in a few days after testing it a
bit more.

Significant patches that I'll get to soon:

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanohighinput-patch.txt

My far-from-finished attempt at rewriting the high-level input
functions.  It currently only affects the main shortcut list.

http://pooka_regent.tripod.com/patches/nano/nanoierestricted-patch.txt

A port of IO ERROR's restricted mode patch from last month to current
CVS-soon-to-be-1.3.2, with a few changes/bug fixes of mine and a bit of
DB's code (calling nano_disabled_msg() directly from the shortcut list
instead of in the functions) that I used in the changes/fixes.  Note
that I still need to (a) write the changelog entry for it, and (b)
figure out a way to squeeze one more flag value out so that it doesn't
conflict as much with Brand Huntsman's color patches.