nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] more on Home/End not working atstatusbarw/ALT_KEYPADon xterm
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 10:32:29 -0700 (PDT)

Wouter van Hemel:

<snip>

>-K stops the 'S', 'P', 'K' from shown in console term, nano prompt
>(because it uses other bindings, I guess), but shows ~ instead of 'S',
>'P', 'K' in xterms, nano prompt. On FreeBSD, it's thus quite useless,
>except for the switching of Delete/BackSpace:
>
>  nano   , console: Delete/BackSpace work fine
>  nano -K, console: Delete becomes BackSpace
>  nano   ,  xterm : BackSpace becomes Delete
>  nano -K,  xterm : Delete/BackSpace work fine
>
>Both in the editor window and prompt window, with or without your
>patch.

Well then, it's another nail in -K's coffin.

<snip>

>Thanks for your efforts,

No problem.  I'm looking into how to eventually implement -d, and the
Backspace = KEY_DC change appears to be only part of the solution; I
still need to know what values are generated in all cases.  Would you
mind doing the following (which I forgot about before):

1. Compile nano with --enable-debug.

2. Run nano without -K at the console.

3. In the edit window, press Backspace and Delete, and let me know what
gets printed out for each key.  It should be something like "AHA!
'[some character]' ([some number])".  I just need to know what [some
number] is for each key.

4. Run nano without -K in an xterm, and repeat #3.

Thanks in advance.