nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] search history

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] search history
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 16:32:42 -0700

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 06:57:01AM +1000, Ken Tyler wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Chris Allegretta wrote:
>
> > When I get home I'll have a look and see if (1) I have your patch (2)
> > the patch does anything close to this (3) see if I can make it do
> > something like this ;)
>
> Hello,
>
> Well my patch is not quite as you describe but close.
>
> What to do you do with a string in [] brackets once it is recalled and new
> display of it edited ?
>
> Search [abcd] : 1a2b3c
>
> Should it stay or disappear ? Confusion to me.  I still reckon pico mode
> should not have histories, maybe it would encourage migration.

Dissappear.  Once it becomes editable the text should dissappear before the
prompt:

Search [abcd]: <hit up or down arrow>
Search: abcd

This way we would only need one input method, we get the benefit of being able
to edit the text if we want to, and can still enter a new string without having
to erase the previous text.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001