nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Bugs: scrolling down and wordwrap

From: David Benbennick
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Bugs: scrolling down and wordwrap
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 15:45:43 -0400

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 05:48:26PM +0300, Mikko Ruuska wrote:
> nano and pico seem to work differently when it comes to creating a long
> line after a wordwrap.

Hi Mikko,

I wrote the bit of code you're referring to, so I'll try to justify how it
works.  Say you are editing a file with the two lines "nano and pico
... a wordwrap" quoted above.  If you go to the start of the second line
and Backspace, you get

> nano and pico seem to work differently when it comes to creating a longline
> after a wordwrap.

There is no space between "long" and "line", since it was just deleted.
Now you type Space.  In Pico, TWO characters are added to the file: a
space and a new line.  Thus, the cursor moves down, and when you Backspace
again you get what you want.

> nano and pico seem to work differently when it comes to creating a long line
> after a wordwrap.

Although that might be considered a feature, I decided it was a bug, and
changed it.  In nano, typing a character always increases the file size by
1 (assuming autoindent is turned off).

As you pointed out, one alternative is to go to the end of the first line
and Delete.  Another is to turn off line wrapping with Meta-W.

Perhaps this issue should be explained briefly in the documentation?