nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFE and volunteering for help.

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFE and volunteering for help.
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:01:21 +0200

[Can you try to tell Sylpheed to wrap lines at ~75 characters? The long
 lines its generating are a pain to reply to]

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 05:07:24PM +0300, Dan Naumov wrote:
> Great! But if possible, please be very specific with your instructions as
> I am no "linux guru" by any means. Just tell me whether I have to get
> Nano from CVS, what I should translate and what I am supposed to use
> for that. How can I make Nano use the current finnish translation ?
> For now, all applications (console and X) I use, appear in English (I
> prefer them that way. Is there a way to make Nano use the current finnish
> translation without affecting other applications ? I would like to check it
> out.

(I need to write a template about this, I'm constantly writing about it ;)
Ok, by parts. As nano is a GNU project, the preferred way to send
translations is through the Free Translation Project
<http://iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/>.

To do this, you need to join the Finnish team at the TP.
See <http://www2.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/po/registry.cgi?team=fi> for
your team info. Sadly, it seems to be a bit dead :(
Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <address@hidden> is the team leader, and the
should be able to get help from one of those addresses. You'll need to
send a document to the FSF, please read about the Translator disclaimer
in <http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/disclaim.html>.

While you write and send your disclaimer to the FSF, you can start
working on updating the translation. Get the current fi.po in 1.1.8 and
just update the fuzzy strings (and remove the fuzzy header), and
translate the missing strings. If you are an Emacs user, you surely want
to use po-mode to edit po files. If you use KDE, there's KBabel, which
makes translating easier too. For GNOME, there's Gtranslator.

> > It's always on my todo to write nanorc.5, a manpage for the nanorc > file.
> > If you want, you can tackle that too. We should also include > info about
> > that in nano.info.
> I would like to look into that later, I think I should do 1 thing at a
> time and my preference would be to do the translations first.

Ok, don't worry about it.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez || address@hidden || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || address@hidden      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E