nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Nano translations updates

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Nano translations updates
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 01:11:23 +0200

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 12:57:53AM +0200, Jean-Philippe Guérard wrote:
> Once a new nano version is officially released, the new PO template is
> sent to the translators. They in turn reply with a new revision of the
> PO file, that match the current released version.
> This updated PO file will be released with the next official version of
> nano.

It works like this for 1.1, yes. For 1.0 it hasn't been a big problem as
strings haven't changed in a long while (except for one in 1.0.9).

> If this is the case, this means that, while nano in CVS has most of the
> time an up-to-date translation, the released version never have a
> correct translation - they always include the PO file that would be a
> good translation for the previous version, but that does not include the
> latest changes.

Yes, this is a problem I'm aware of. As 1.1 is a development series, I
wasn't too worried about it. On the other hand, I thought we would have
as many releases as we had with the 0.x series. Whenever the 1.2.0 is
near, I'll try to get Chris to post pre-releases before the real
releases, so all translators can get them done correctly. Right now,
pre-releases are rare as it's a development branch after all, and when
there is one, I don't submit it to the TP, as I can't be certain that
strings won't change again between the pre-release and the final
release.

If you have any suggestion, it'll be welcome, of course. I sometimes
send the CVS po to the Galician translator (which I know in person) when
I see that there are many string changes in CVS. But that doesn't scale
for all the teams :)

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez || address@hidden || Rediscovering Freedom,
   aka Oskuro in    || address@hidden      || Using Debian GNU/Linux

http://sindominio.net  GnuPG public information:      pub  1024D/917A225E
telnet pusa.uv.es 23   73ED 4244 FD43 5886 20AC  2644 2584 94BA 917A 225E