nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] nano and binary files

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] nano and binary files
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:28:14 -0800 (PST)

--- Jordi Mallach <address@hidden> wrote:
>Part: 1
><pre>On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 07:01:01AM -0800, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
>&gt; Is there any interest in something like this?
>
>You mean making nano a binary editor?
>Maybe it's a bit too much, nano is just a text editor.
>
>I don't know... I guess we need to draw a line of what nano pretends to
>do and what is bloat.

Still, if it could handle nulls in the input, that would be
enough for me; that's all I'm planning on adding support for.
Nano doesn't need to be a full binary editor, i. e. go
emacs' way of allowing insertion of any ASCII character with
a keystroke, and/or display everything in hex/octal; I
wasn't thinking of doing something that drastic at all.
(If I wanted that, I'd write a filter to turn the output of
od/hexdump back into a binary file, run the binary file that
I wanted to edit through od/hexdump, edit the resulting text
in nano, and then run it back through the filter to get the
edited binary file.)

I'll at least make an attempt at this, so you can see what I
have in mind.