nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] -C, --relative option [Fwd: address@hidden: Thank you]

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] -C, --relative option [Fwd: address@hidden: Thank you]
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:49:29 -0500

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 05:01:38PM -0500, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>       Well, I've gotten enough letters like these to implement this
> feature.  It's in CVS now, flag is -C, --relative.  The only question I
> have is do we want to make the new way the default; what use is it to
> anyone to know what character they are on relative to the entire file?!

I really think this needs some discussion.  Okay, if you use nano and
you ever hit ^C or (especially) if you use the -c flag or Meta-c toggle,
you should probably have an opinion about this.  Is the default behavior
(character position relative to the entire file) of any use to you? Or
should the new flag behavior (pos relative to the current line) be the
default and -C should do it the way Pico does?

The only downside to making the new behavior the default is do we then
invoke the old behavior when pico mode is requested?  But I still think
the discussion has value.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001