myexperiment-discuss

Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] "Intelligent" storage of workflows

From: Alan R Williams
Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] "Intelligent" storage of workflows
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:49:31 +0000

> From: Marco Roos <address@hidden>
> To: Paolo Missier <address@hidden>
> CC: Alan R Williams <address@hidden>,
>  address@hidden,
>  Ingo Wassink <address@hidden>,
>  Edgar Meij <address@hidden>,
>  "M. Scott Marshall" <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Myexperiment-discuss] "Intelligent" storage of workflows

> Hi Alan and others,

Hello from the workshop,

> My two cents:

> David's RDF work is very important for all sorts of activities that try=20
> to link and provide useful information from scientific experiments. RDF=20
> I think allows a structured, yet flexible way to query information,=20
> useful for distributed queries, meta-analysis, and to build new=20
> applications on.

I agree.

> RDF is not a requirement per s=E9 for all analyses. For your information:
> 1. my colleague Edgar Meij made a workflow to create an index from what=20
> he could obtain via the myExperiment REST API; this allows us to perform=20
> (Lucene) queries to retrieve content from myExperiment. We used this in=20
> a (proof-of-principle) application. If the myExperiment API provides a=20
> look inside workflows, it may be possible to retrieve the desired=20
> information via a personalised index.
> 2. Ingo Wassink just submitted a paper where he analysed the contents of=20
> workflows in myExperiment, again via a workflow.

I've done a number of analyses of the myExperiment workflows using
Taverna workflows to fetch the workflows from myExperiment (or from a
cache) and then run xslt or xpath in order to identify or count the
specific pattern I am looking for.  It is totally non-generic but it
works :-)  It is also Taverna-specific.

I don't know how feasible it would be to do an anlysis that could find
any workflow (Taverna or Kepler or Pipeline Pilot etc.) that matched
criteria.  The person who should know is Antoon.  I've found his new
e-mail and copied him.

> Both are on cc; I'm sure they are willing to provide more information=20
> upon request.

> Cheers,
> Marco.

Alan