myexperiment-discuss

[Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: myExperiment involvement]

From: Carole Goble
Subject: [Myexperiment-discuss] [Fwd: myExperiment involvement]
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:01:49 +0100

we have an offer of help. I know Mark well. Seems like a good candidate!

Carole

--- Begin Message --- Subject: myExperiment involvement Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 20:47:45 -0700
Hello,

I'm a masters student in computer science at the University of British Columbia. I'm being co-supervised by Mark Wilkinson and Rachel Pottinger. My masters essay project is currently focused on providing automated assistance to when adding services to a workflow.

As such, I've been perusing the work done by myGrid on myExperiment.org, and I am extremely interested in getting involved in its development, if this is possible. I have an undergraduate degree in bioinformatics from the University of Waterloo (Ontario, Canada) and I have had many software development internship. My most recent work experience was an 8-month long stint at Google, where I wrote two project prototypes that were later extended into full applications, and headed a team of 5 full-time engineers in migrating a research prototype to a production system.

One of my specialties is rapid prototyping with an emphasis on writing code that is still comprehensible when the prototype is complete. This might be useful at the stage of development that you are in with myexperiment.org.

If there is a chunk of functionality that you would like to see implemented for whatever purpose, I would be enthusiastically take it on. I notice that you folks are leaning towards Rails for your implementation -- I am partial to Django (Python), but I've always wanted to pick up Rails, and I'd be excited to work with this technology. I additionally have a great deal in C++, Java, and Perl, and I have dabbled in OCaml.

If you are interested, you can check out samples of my work on my website:

http://www.mikedebo.ca/projects

Unfortunately my CV is horribly out of date, but I hope to rectify that soon.

Additionally, my supervisors' homepages can be found here:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~rap/
http://www.icapture.ubc.ca/who/who_mark_wilkinson.shtml

(I'm sure you already know Mark Wilkinson, but I've included the link anyways.)

Thanks for your time,
-Mike

--- End Message ---