moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] bonobo:editable property

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] bonobo:editable property
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:49:24 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 14:14, Jean Bréfort wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Following a recent discussion on the gnome-devel-list about security and
> mozilla-bonobo, I tried to implement something in GChemPaint based on
> the following line in mozilla-bonobo-viewer.c:
> > bonobo_pbclient_set_boolean(prop_bag, "bonobo:editable", FALSE, NULL);
>
> I obtain a warning from libbonobo:
>
> (gchempaint:7001): Bonobo-CRITICAL **: file bonobo-listener.c: line 231
> (bonobo_event_make_name): assertion `!subtype || !strchr (subtype, ':')'
> failed
>
> After some debuging it appears that the value of subtype is
> bonobo:editable. The name of the property should not contain a colon.
> May be editable would be enough, or bonobo_editable?

well I guess when I chose that name, I was under the false impression
that "bonobo:editable" was a standard property that many components
supported. I had seen it as an oaf attribute [1], and thought it might
be settable as a property too.

If this attribute name is not intended to be used as a property, then we
need to do something different. In that case, we need to be careful
about the namespace we use.

If we need to define some kind of interface that components have to
explicitly support, we should put it into a non-ambiguous namespace
that we "own".

Cheers,

Christian Glodt

[1] see the bonobo-activation docs: