moz-bonobo-list

Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Disable a mime type?

From: Christian Glodt
Subject: Re: [moz-bonobo-list] Disable a mime type?
Date: 08 Jun 2003 16:02:02 +0200

On Sun, 2003-06-08 at 15:40, Adam Williams wrote:
> I've gotten the bonobo plugin working now, quite nice.  But I also have
> the Acrobat Reader plugin, which is a far nicer and more stable PDF
> viewer than GNOME's pdf component.  So I'd like to disable moz-bonobo
> handling that mime type.  I've gone into the conf editor and added
> "application/pdf" to apps/mozilla-bonobo/mime-types:ignore but it still
> tries to pull up in ggv.

Most probably this happens because of the known mozilla bug #125469.
Mozilla caches which plugin is capable of displaying which mime type,
and it is not really prepared for plugins whose supported mime types
vary over time. So, to get mozilla to respect the new setting, you
need to get it to re-query the plugin for the mime types it supports.
There's 2 ways to do this (mozilla should not be running while you
do this):

- "touch" the libmozilla_bonobo.so file in your plugins directory, or
- remove the "pluginreg.dat" file from your ~/.mozilla/ directory.

You can verify if it worked by visiting "about:plugins" in the browser.

Hopefully, the mozilla folks will get around to fixing this sometime
soon. You can ofcourse vote for the mozilla bug to accelerate this :)
(If you do so, please also vote for #201158).

Note: this ofcourse also applies Galeon and Epiphany.

Cheers,

Christian Glodt