Re: [Monotone-devel] C++11

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] C++11
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 18:44:42 +0200

On 05/15/2014 03:30 PM, Stephen Leake wrote:
> You left out Windows:

Yes, sorry, that's not due to my aversion against that OS, but because I
assumed those to be more of a "rolling release" style, where you usually
have a pretty recent gcc.

For the very same reason, I left out Gentoo and Arch Linux.

> We also have to run RHEL 5 for a couple of version-frozen projects. But
> those don't need the latest monotone, just netsync compatibility.

netsync compat is an entirely unrelated issue.

>> However, there's the RedHat Developer Toolset, shipping gcc 4.7.
>
> I was not aware of that, nor of RHEL 7.

There's a first release candidate for RHEL 7, AFAIUI. Not that I had
ever used that or the Developer Toolset.

> In addition, we use AdaCore tools, which provide gcc 4.7. I'll
> try testing with that.

Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

> Right. Or just use an older monotone; as long as we preserve netsync
> compatibility, using an older monotone is not a serious problem. People
> using old systems have to accept old tools.

Agreed.

> We could provide 1.1 source tarball on our website for a while, to allow
> compiling on non-C++-11 systems.

Sure.

> We don't want to discourage interested contributors by saying "you can't
> use the best tool for the job" (which would actually be Ada 2012, not
> C++ 11, but let's not go there :).

In honor of the founder of this project: Sorry, no, the best tool would
rather be rust.  ;-)

Regards

Markus