[Monotone-devel] GPL version for monotone

From: Markus Wanner
Subject: [Monotone-devel] GPL version for monotone
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 21:41:22 +0200

Stephen,

while COPYING states GPL-2+ as the license for monotone, I just figured
there's exactly two files in the source that state GPL-3+:
src/{unix,win32}/parse_date.cc. You introduced these back in May 2010 in
rev a8147b11, when splitting functionality from dates.cc into these two
platform specific variants.

I realize the has been some discussion regarding switching to GPL-3+
(search the archives for "GPLv3 code in monotone"), but to me the thread
doesn't quite look like an agreement has been reached for a move to
GPL-3+. Maybe that needs to be revisited, now? Stephen, do you want to
pursue a move to GPL-3+, again?

Alternatively, please resolve the ambiguity by clearly allowing
distribution of those files under GPL v2 as well, i.e. change the boiler
plate there to state "GNU GPL version 2.0 or greater", as other source
files still do. Thanks.

[ I'm sorry to bring this up only after the 1.1 release. ]

Regards

Markus